Thursday, April 20, 2006

What the .... ??

I hate mosquitoes. I don't say that just because they bite me and leave some itchy rashes on my arms and legs, but because, in the true sense, they are my righteous enemies.
The time when I had dengue was when I was in 12th standard. The doctor didn't know what had happened to me, but after a few blood tests and other similar stunts, he got to know, and so did I and my parents. On hindsight, maybe he already knew but didn't tell, so that my parents didn't get worried. But, whatever, that was the first time I got to know what leukocytes were and what their average count should be. Platelets were a term which I knew about, but that didn't really help. Fortunately it didn't have me in bed for more than 3 weeks and the disease caused by Aedes Aegypti vanished away.
But wait, for there is more. Within a week of my respite, a female anopeheles thought: "Let's take a bite." and that was the beginning of my malaria. Shivering sucks and all that and I was in bed for another 2 weeks. My highest recorded temperature was 106 ° F (yay!! although I still believe it went higher than that.).
When I got out of bed, I was faced with the IIT-JEE screening test and only god knows how I cleared it. My parents had their hopes high, but I knew what I was made of. Or rather, I knew "Ki main kis mitti ka bana hun". IIT mains saw me using my creativity in somehow filling up the sheets, so as to not get a sense of inferiority complex and I just chimed whatever the others said about the papers i.e "physics was tough", "maths and chemistry were easy", "cutoffs will be low" etc. I was confident that IIT won't be in my reach.
DCE (Delhi College of Engineering + NSIT) was another hope which I had. And it hit me pretty badly when its results came out and I couldn't get through that either.
I had gotten mediocre ranks in AIEEE, IP university and Karnataka CET. I was, pretty much, down and out.
536 was the rank which I got in the CUSAT Common Admission Test . It was a university which I had heard, as Rakesh's brother had written its entrance test three years back. Most people asked me to keep it as the last resort (for obvious reasons), but I guess I just wanted to run away from my failures when I decided that I will join CUSAT.

No comments: