Thursday, April 27, 2006

A few things to be happy about

The company which I'm planning to join (Subex Systems) recently acquired Azure Solutions . This is the biggest overseas acquisition by an Indian IT company. So... yay!!!!

I hope a lot of people took note and not give me these blank stares when I tell them that "I'm going to join Subex Systems in Bangalore.", from now on.
Now, before I got a job in Subex (which was actually a big, but pleasant, accident) I had gotten placed in Wipro. Wipro being a household name for like a century, was recognisable by everyone. Most importantly by my parents and my relatives.
I mean for a few days, I would just go here and there and happily answer queries as to where I was placed:

Arbitary relative/friend/well-wisher: "Where did you get placed?"

Me: "Yo!! Wipro."

Arbitary relative/friend/well-wisher: "Wow!!!"

End of story.


Now though, its a different story all together.

Arbitary relative/friend/well-wisher: "Where did you get placed?"

Me: "err.. um.. I got placed first in Wipro and then in Subex Systems. I'm planning to join the latter."

Arbitary relative/friend/well-wisher: "Oh, so when are you planning to join Wipro? Where will you be joining?"

Me: "Subex Systems.. err.. not Wipro.."

Arbitary relative/friend/well-wisher: "Oh what is that?"

Me: "Its a software products company doing business in the telecom sector and based in Bangalore."

Arbitary relative/friend/well-wisher: "And how is it related to Wipro?"

Me: *pulls my hair out*

Me: "Err.. nothing, I'm joining Wipro."

Arbitary relative/friend/well-wisher: "Wow!!!"

End of story.

But then this isn't something which is new for me. I have always been associated with institutions having weird/unheard-of names. For example the name of my school was "Ahlcon (not alcohol) Public School", the name of my coaching center was "TOCAB", and last, but by no means the least, the name of my college is: "CUSAT". My dad, for some reason, still calls it "Cochin Institute of Technology". I mean its been 4 years and I have relentlessly corrected him, but he still persists.
But I don't need to worry, because in a few months our college will become IIT-Cochin and we will be like the masters of the universe ... yeah right.

Among other things, Anubhav started writing a blog because he got bored of studying for exams. I would like to welcome him to the blogosphere.

6 comments:

d_grail said...

tell me abt it..
wipro (wow!!)
csc (what??)
nitie (nighty??)

Anonymous said...

well when r u coming to the indian silly-con alley ...

Rohit said...

@ankur:
Should be somewhere in July or August. I hope not earlier than that :)

Nothing Serious said...

thanx for publicizing me...btw i dint know subex was a telecom based comp...i always took it as a fraud mgmnt firm.

Rohit said...

@anubhav
No need to thank be. And you are right Subex is a fraud management company, but working in the telecom domain :)

Rakesh V P Singh said...

Hi Rohit,
its really great to publish "TOCAB" a institute which is really doing good to students.

Thanks