Monday, December 12, 2005

The passport ordeal - I

I don't have a passport, but I require one as the company in which I'm about to join has asked me to produce it at the time of joining (hopefully I will get to see another country in the near future). I had been planning on getting one as soon as I had received my offer letter (in my 6th semester) and I had even taken the passport form in Cochin, but never had gotten around to completing the formalities.
Now, I have finished my 7th semester and I still don't have the passport in my hands. A toast to my laziness.
Dad had been kind enough to get the passport form for me, here in Delhi. Yesterday evening, after getting all the certificates in place, I started filling up the form. Surprisingly I took care of that pretty efficiently and had everything ready (or maybe not) by the night.
Today morning me and dad left for the Geeta colony passport office. On reaching there I came to know that they didn't accept payment in cash (I had bought cash), but only DD. Also they didn't issue passports under the Tatkal scheme (which lets you get a passport within 10 days). So I had to go all the way from Geeta colony to Bhikaji Cama Place, to the main passport office. The rush hour traffic didn't help the long drive.
After reaching there and finding out the queue for Tatkal passports, I had to wait wait and wait for a very very very long time (11 am - 1 pm), in a short but extremely slow moving queue. Just before my turn was about to come (I was 3 shy) I heard the lady in front of me talk about a verification certificate. On further enquiry I realized that I didn't have it, and without it the passport wouldn't be made (under Tatkal scheme)... arghhhhhhhhh.
I returned home empty handed, tired, frustrated, and very hungry.

No comments: