Friday, November 18, 2005

More breaking my PC

So here I am sitting in front of my computer after successfully completing my networks lab exam, when I get this idea of downloading FreeDOS. Ya it is exactly what it says: Free MS-DOS. There is an interesting story as to how FreeDOS was actually made.
Anyway, I downloaded the iso file, burned the cd and then booted with that. I was greeted with a menu followed by the familiar DOS prompt of old. But I really didn't want to run it from the CD all the time, and as I had extra space on my HDD, I said: "Why not create a small partition and keep FreeDOS on that?". That was the point where I made the mistake of going into windows and trying to partition the drive, result: BSOD :(
System rebooted and GRUB shows me an error 17.
Enter Knoppix. I booted the liveCD and tried reconfiguring GRUB some 3-4 times, but to no avail. So I had to fix the master boot record using the Windows XP CD itself.
The good side is that at least I now get the chance of cleaning up whole of my system and trying out Ubuntu (I was getting a bit tired of Gentoo anyway).
On a side note, I won't say that it was Windows which messed up my partition table. It was my fault, I should have kept it more tidy.
Update:
I was not going to give up so soon, so I tried again and it worked. GRUB is back up and Knoppix rules. Now time to get FreeDOS installed :) Back to the breaking...

No comments: