Sunday, October 23, 2005

Pacman aftermath

So, I completed Pacman and the demo is to be tomorrow. I don't care how it goes. But there are a few things which I learnt while making this project and which I do care about.

First of all: designing before you actually code helps later. While making this project I never layed pen to paper. Everything was directly typed onto the computer without actually thinking it through. That is the reason why at some parts the collision detection doesn't work. I don't think that I will be able to rectify that without doing a total overhaul of the code.

Secondly, making tools which aid some part of the program are not only cool but also an excellent saviour of time. I made the pacman map editor because I was lazy to actually put in all of the coordinates of the maze into the program. In the end it was a big convenience in testing the program.

Thirdly, something which works fine on your computer may not work the same, somewhere else. The game ran smoothly on my windows machine. It ran extremely fast on my friend (Rakesh's) P.C (maybe because of a better graphics card) and extremely slowly on my Linux box. I'm still trying to figure out why it is running slowly on Linux. By the way did I mention that the game was portable :D

And finally the only tough part in doing any project is .... starting the project. Once you have started it doesn't take much time to finish it..

No comments: