Saturday, January 21, 2006

Ubuntu

A few days back my system crashed mysteriously. Windows just would not boot up, whatever I tried. I thought it was about time that I formatted my drive and re-installed windows. But in the process I said "What the heck" and re-partitioned my whole drive and thus lost my hard earned Gentoo system.
The good part was that I got a chance to try out my "Free" Ubuntu CDs. The installation process was a breeze and everything got setup properly. I had to download and install the nvidia drivers, but that is a given in any Linux installation. Internet is working and I got internet sharing configured right now by following this. Installing apps is also pretty simple (the advantages of having the Debian pacakge manager). Just like everyone else who has used Ubuntu, I also give it a thumbs up.

Update: Looks like I spoke too soon. Surprisingly, Ubuntu is the first Linux distribution, which I have seen, where you will have to install gcc, g++ etc yourself (I mean it is not in the base system by default). Not only that you will have to install the standard header files too. What this means is, if you have a newly setup Ubuntu system and want to run a simple "Hello world" C program, it won't even compile.

No comments: