Friday, July 15, 2005

Game programming

I had been reading a few articles on gamedev, as well as reading the Black Book of graphics programming by Michael Abrash (and yes, penny arcade too). The thing which sets game development apart from other areas of development in CS, is that it has almost a little bit of everything.
Here is something which I dug up from an article in penny arcade.

"You have to understand, game programming is the hardest type of programming there is (although my friend Epistax claims that advanced accounting software is), and it makes perfect sense: while ordinary software has a very specific goal, games create a world, an experience, a virtual reality, and therefore incorporating a little bit of each programming domain: AI, graphics, database, math, optimization, etc. That will take more lines of code, more art sketches, more music... I really didn't think such a commitment could ever be achieved by me. But all that was about to change..."

No comments: