Sunday, July 17, 2005

Efforts to create acceptable programs.

In a previous post I said that I will try to create stand alone python appilcations. So, I tried and failed. But the one thing which I did find out, was that when you try to create a standalone program (which basically means that you won't be needing python for it to run) you get a really bloated final package. The executable may be small, but the other pyd, pyc and dlls really take up a lot of space. The unfortunate part is that the python interpreter is not as popular as the JVM, so you have to try and create a standalone program for a larger target audience. The other alternative I guess would be to use Jython, to create bytecodes out of programs and run them on a JVM.
Talking about Java, I managed to find a blog entry of John Carmack (The guy who made the graphics engine of wolf, doom, quake, quake 2, quake 3, doom 3 etc) about his latest endeavor to make a doom-rpg on a cell phone. He talks about how Java restricts the speed of execution of a program. An interesting read.

No comments: