Monday, November 01, 2004

Gentoo

So I had nothing much to do this weekend so I started browsing the web. It was then that I encountered gentoo. I had heard of it before, but never thought of installing it, as I already have a Fedora Core 1 system running nicely. Inspite of that I though why not give it a shot. So I downloaded the minimal live cd and the stage 2 tarball. I mainly chose stage 2 as I wanted to build the system approximately from scratch. The installation till now has not been too tough, but it depends heavily on the web. Just downloading the portage tree took 3 hours and I still have to install quite a few packages. I havent even downloaded the kernel sources yet. But come to think of it I'm in no hurry and I guess I will just gentoo run all through the night.

No comments: